Sunday, July 27, 2014

Managed Long Term Care for Medicaid

After some back and forth with Fidelis, they scheduled a nurse to come visit my mother and assess her need for home care. I made a trip out to meet her. The nurse was very nice (despite discussing the fact of my mother's dimension in front of her) but seemed to suggest that I would have to sign over all the money my mother was depositing to the Pooled Income Trust to them. I explained that if she did this she would not be able to pay her bills and remain in her home. We went back and forth for a while until I realized she didn't really understand how it worked. This has been something I've notice throughout this process and I'm not saying this to deprecate any of the workers. It is a very complicated system and everyone knows what they need to know. Nobody knows how the other piece of the puzzle works. This is probably another reason people use Eldercare Attorneys. It's their job to negotiate this system. Returning to the nurses assessment, she finally explained that they could offer 8 hours/day of home care. I explained I already had 8 hours/day of home care. She was very understanding and recommended I shop around to see if I could do better. I was very disappointed but immediately contacted two other companies and had nurse evaluations scheduled. Today I met with Centerlight. They nurse was very nice and straightforward and after asking as a number of very detailed questions and stated they could offer 16 hours/ week. She was very apologetic about this and recommended we continue shopping around. It should be noted that both nurses, unofficially, acknowledged my mother's need for 24/7 care, but both were bound by a very rigid system which uses ADLs to determine home care need. The nurse from Centerlight, explained that another client who required assistance with everything received minimal home care. I have an appointment with Guildnet in about 10 days and play to schedule one with Elderserve.
If it turns out Medicaid Long Term Care only offers 8 hours/day of home care it might mean Medicaid doesn't make sense at this time, and I will have to try again when my mother's condition has deteriorated further.
I used this guide for Long Island Managed Long Term Care companies to help me choose which companies I contacted: http://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/managed_care/mltc/consumer_guides/long_island/

No comments:

Post a Comment