Thursday, August 7, 2014

Medicaid updates

Medicaid recently lowered my spend down total by about $500 after I explained some issues: an account was closed which no longer generated income which had been added to the spend down total and they were suggesting I received $3400 from my John Hancock long term care insurance which reimburse $100/day.

This adjustment was a small victory but essentially meaningless as I have yet to be offered any additional home care from any of the long-term care companies and if I agree to the spend down, which would necessitate me switching from hiring independent HHA to working with an agency would mean getting half the hours of care for the same $100. An agency typical charges about $25/ hour for an HHA. An independent HHA can be hired for $12.50 or $15. The HHA working through the agency gets around $8-$12/hour. (I've gathered $12 is unusual)

I also received a notice from Medicaid stating that my mother had to enroll in Medicare Part D which relates to Rx coverage. She is already enrolled in Part D but this letter suggested that she could be disqualified from Medicaid or a Part D program would be chosen for her. I'm not sure how to even address this. Do I need to clarify to Medicaid that she's already enrolled in Part D? It seems very sad that we have a health care system that so difficult to access and utilize and most often very inadequate in it's care of the elderly. Some day many years from now (I sincerely hope) Americans will look back with some shame at this inadequate system....what are the priorities of a society if not to provide the most basic care to it's members? Especially, it's most vulnerable members....children and the elderly.

No comments:

Post a Comment